Regional education includes training and education at elementary schools, secondary schools and school facilities that specifically include the following:
- Pre-school training and education of children in pre-school facilities from the age of two to generally six years: Pre-school training and education refers to education of the child in the family, completed with training and education activity that focuses on multilateral development of the child's personality, as well as the child's social, emotional, physical and intellectual development in accordance with individual and age specialties. Part of the pre-school training and education of children in pre-school facilities is preparation of the child for compulsory school attendance.
- Elementary training and education of children at elementary school that provides elementary education based on scientific knowledge in accordance with principles of patriotism, humanity and democracy: It provides moral, aesthetic, working, health, physical, traffic and ecology education. It enables religious education and sport preparation. The constitution of the Slovak Republic ensures the right of each citizen to education at state elementary schools free of charge and the possibility of attending other than state schools.
- Professional artistic education at elementary artistic school within individual artistic fields: This both prepares children for study in educational fields at secondary schools with an artistic orientation and at conservatories and also prepares them professionally for study at universities with an artistic and artistic-pedagogic orientation.
- Secondary general education and training, particularly at gymnasiums that prepare principally for study at universities: They also prepare for some activities in administration, culture and other areas. General education and training also are part of the offerings at secondary professional schools and secondary professional training schools.
- Secondary professional education and training in which students at secondary professional schools prepare principally for professional occupations, including technical, economic, pedagogic, health care, social and legal, administrative, artistic and cultural, as well as for study at universities. At the secondary professional training schools, students prepare in educational fields for skilled labor and professional occupations, especially for occupations requiring specialized skills and certain technical and occupations of an operational nature.
- Special training and education provides for children and students with specific training and educational needs, e.g., with mental, physical, visual, or acoustic disabilities, with communication disorders, autism, developmental learning defects, behavioural defects, physical and health problems, as well as intellectually gifted children and students at particular schools and facilities offering special pedagogic expertise.
- Training and education of national minorities provided at pre-school facilities, elementary schools, secondary schools, special schools and school facilities with teaching in languages other than Slovak, including the languages of the Hungarian, Ukrainian, Ruthenian and German national minority: In addition, education is provided for members of the Roma community and children from socially disadvantaged environments at schools and school facilities.
- Education and training at clerical and private schools and school facilities that may be established by the churches or religious communities recognized by the state, or by another legal entity or natural person: Education obtained in these schools is equivalent to the education provided at other schools and tuition can be charged. The goal of clerical and private schools is to provide, in addition to quality education and training, alternative content, methods, and formats in education and training.